Saturday, January 23, 2010

'Sorrow-looking' Office Furniture

That's me!

On our last department get together, I forgot how and why, but the big boss suddenly commented and said 'there's no one in our department who is more hardworking that (my name), except for me'. 'When I work late at night, she's also still in the office'.

'She's like an office furniture'

(First disclaimer: These are not the exact words, but just the context. I couldn't fully absorb what he was saying as I was in between feeling shy, flattered, surprised and dumbfounded.)

(Second disclaimer: I don't think I'm the second most hardworking , I just sit very near his room, and so he sees it when I stay late.

Well, it's not the best compliment, but I guess some people just find it hard to give one in the first place. I know some colleagues laughed about it (and I myself supplemented that I'm the cushion, before they can even supply other furnitures), some people were surprised and thought it wasn't nice. But for me, honestly I wasn't the least bit annoyed for being compared to a furniture.

The big boss knows my name, nods and smiles at me at times, recognizes my efforts in front of everybody. That's good enough (actually, a promotion would be better). I guess people will see me and remember the 'furniture' thing for a few months, but I'm perfectly cool with it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorrow face.

My RM (relationship manager) was going on a business trip, and he jokingly told me 'I'm going tomorrow, try not to miss me too much okay?'.

I'm really not good at witty comebacks, so I just muttered 'I'll try', accompanied by a smile.

Then I resumed typing, when this other RM from another team said 'Yeah, I can see it now, she wants to cry/looks like crying (can't remember which one)'.

Then my RM turned around (because our tables are back to back) and told the other RM "Don't take it wrongly, she just has this perpetually sorrow face".

Errrr... thanks for the gesture? I mean, I know he was just trying to explain to the RM, since he knew me better.. but hmmm.. that's the first time that adjective was used to describe my face.

I don't have the right to get irritated, because it's true! I have this perpetual frown indented on my forehead, near the start of my eyebrows (since birth and not an effect of real constant frowning) which makes me look frowny or 'in sorrow' if I'm not smiling.

Oh well =).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great collection of Cheap Office Furniture for decorating your modern office.