Saturday, January 16, 2010

Salmon Chowder

Cover the salmon bones with enough water. Let it boil until the meat falls off from the bones
bubbling

Scrape the fish meat from the bones


Until you're left with just the stock and salmon bits

Chop onions and cube up potatoes

Saute the onion

The potato 'action shot' . Add in the potatoes. After a few minutes of stirring, add some water. Just enough to cover the onions and potatoes.

When the potato is half tender, add in the salmon stock, corn, and evaporated milk. Simmer for 20 minutes, and add salt and pepper

There's a bit of oil, but it's the omega 3 oil from the salmon
Chunky chowder


I was in Isetan grocery the other day, looking at slabs of salmon fillets and flinching at the price. Then, I saw a pack of Salmon bones (with a lot of meat). So back home, I researched on recipes for salmon bones.

I typed 'how to cook salmon bones?', and out popped some sites. A girl also asked the same question in Yahoo! Answers and a dude suggested Salmon chowder, and provided the recipe.

*Light bulb!* I know then that it would become a project.

So last night (Friday), I went to Isetan to buy the SGD2.50 salmon bones and then went to Cold Storage to buy the remaining ingredients (evaporated milk, corn). Since I was there, I bought a lot of other stuff as well (Philippine bananas, organic apple, salmon fillets , Vitagen cultured milk drink, cheese spread and etc.. I find happiness doing the grocery (on a Friday night). Talk about my lack of night life. But then, I was never the 'clubbin' type of girl. I hate noise, I don't like crowd.

Anyway, it took almost 2 hours for the entire process.

The verdict: It's a bit watery and sweet (might be from the milk or corn). I guess I have to put it less water next time. Overall, it's an okay comfort food, and I'm proud of myself.

1 comment:

Smarter Than Ever said...

I like the step-by-step action shots! Two thumbs up!