Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Dec 26 - Jan 03, 2010

Queue outside Asian Civilization, waiting to get the goodie bag. It's not so much of what's inside it, but more of the thrill of getting something for free!
It's a Philippine exhibit, so they made two cardboard picture of a guy and girl wearing the Philippine national costume. Barong for guys, and baro't saya for the girls. My brother and I had our pictures taken. First one with him as the guy and me as the girl. Next, we swapped. I was the guy, and he was the girl!

There was a dance number...

The coupons to redeem the pie and ice cream

Cereal prawn from Jumbo. Apparently, we didn't take pictures of the other dishes: Salted fish fried rice, tofu with spinach (yum) and hong kong style fried noodles.


The Facade

During the fireworks.. You're looking at the Asian Civilization side. No fireworks, since it was behind us.
**********************************************************************************
I couldn't really remember the sequence of events anymore, but basically our family would usually laze around at home till late in the afternoon and go out when the sun has almost set.

We would go malling and eat. and eat.
Here's where we ate:
- Din Tai Fung, 313 Somerset
- Soup Restaurant, United Square
- Kopitiam, Velocity
- Food Republic, Vivo City
- Yigloo Yogurt, Vivo City (Recommended)
- Food court, Raffles City
- Jumbo Seafood Restaurant, Boat Quay
- Food Court, ION Basement 4
- Hey Hey Hotpot, POMO at Selegie (Recommended!)
- Rochor Original Beancurd, Selegie Road

Here's where we roamed:
- 313 Somerset
- Wisma
- ION
- Tang's
- Orchard area
- Raffles City
- Velocity
- United Square

On workdays, I would go home for lunch and be treated like a princess. I would sit down, and the dishes would be there. A bowl of warm rice would be brought out and I would call for 'juice!' (tetra pak juice), which my brother would get from the ref. (I'm not really a spoiled brat, I was just pushing my luck).
Then after lunch, I would go to my bed and rest for awhile.
Each time I went back to the office, I felt heaviness on my shoulders and tightening of the chest. How I dreaded going back to the office on those days, knowing my family was home.
******************
Anyway, on New Year's eve, we went to Asian Civilization since there was a Filipino exhibit AND new year countdown by 91.3FM. They gave out goodie bags for the first 500 guests, coupons for micro-mini pies, Udders ice cream and Bacardi. Plus, never ending coke in sexy coke bottles.
We ate our NY Eve dinner at Jumbo, Boat Quay and walked back near the Asian Civilization area for the countdown. We were able to get a nice space to wait outside a building. Finally the countdown started. FIVE. FOUR. THREE. TWO. ONE..!!! 'Pop pop pop pop!!!' the fireworks started shooting up the sky. We could hear it, but we couldn't see it, because the fireworks was behind the building we were standing on!!!
Too late for us to run to the other side, so we just tried to watch it from the reflections on the tall buildings. I heard the coverage on tv was great though, with Singapore historical tidbits in between. If we only knew, then we could've gone home with boxes of pizza and chips, and just waited for the new year in the comfort of my rented flat.

No comments: