Saturday, January 16, 2010

My 2-Minute Screen Test

First step, they will get a close-up 'mugshot' of you. By the way, that's not me in the picture.


I was a service hero for Q1 (quarter 1) last year. It's not an extraordinary feat or what, like what the name suggests. It's more of my boss nominated me, and a panel just decided on who to win for that quarter.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I received an email about XXXX(company name) X Factor. They wanted to do a short film clip about this X Factor thing, and they wanted the winners from Q1 and Q2 to do a screen test. From that group, they will choose about 15, who will do the actual film.

I ignored the email, even after the service boss asked me about it. Then one day, I received an instant message (within our lotus notes) from this unknown girl, asking for a return call. Since it's not uncommon for me to receive such messages, I called her back.

She said "Hi! I've been looking for you for the past few days.." and she went to say that it's about the X factor thing. Oh no... no way out now.. So I told her I'm camera shy and blah blah, but she persisted. So in the end, I said I will go to the screen test.

I wanted to say no, but being me, I wouldn't just let a 'bloggable' thing pass by. I mean, I'm here to experience things, so might as well take on whatever comes my way.

I went to our head office yesterday for the shoot, and the moment I stepped in and saw the lights, gak! I thought 'what have I gotten myself into!?"

This girl welcomed me and went to say about the launch of the service X factor thingy. She said I must think of an actual client/situation so that during the interview, I would be able to give a clear example. Whu-whaaat!? It's an interview kinda thing?

Because we were told to just prepare one-liner answers for 4 questions, and I've memorised my answers! Darn, I'm not good at anything impromptu. Please, my mind needs to process things first or else I will blabber.

Finally, it was my turn, and I did blabber. The 'director' asked me: How important is it for you to listen to your clients? and the blabbering began.. I kept answering, he kept asking until I thought we would never end.

Until he said "Okay can you say, I am (my name), I have the x-factor".

Whew!

Oh, I was told that the final film will be shown in corporate inductions, and generally to everyone when they launch the X factor thing. Gulp.

No comments: