Sunday, May 23, 2010

My First Attempt at Cooking Potato Pancakes

First, peel potatoes
Check!

Grate the potatoes. This is a good arm workout. But now I have uneven arms, since I only used the right arm

Try to squeeze out all the water from the grated potatoes


Eggs are needed because it acts as the 'glue'. I saw some youtube clips where they used only the egg yolk, but the one I'm following used both the white and the yolk.

My arm was beating the egg like a machine, so fast that the camera can't even capture it.



The other ingredients: Flour (to make it crispy), salt and parsley ( I don't like parsley, but it's good for my body).

Add the other ingredients into the liquid mixture
Keep mixing


Add the potatoes. Dang, but they oxidised so quickly.

Put olive oil. Use the nice quality olive oil (which till now, I'm still searching). This one I bought recently is a bit strong, that I could even taste the oil when I bit into the pancake.
Small piece, for testing only. Never cook a big batch without testing first.
Ack, too bland. Oh! I forgot to mention that I added shredded mozzarella chesse into the mixture too. To add saltiness without having to put too much salt.

I added some more cheese and salt. It waters quickly, so it's really a must to wring out the water from the potato and not to use too many eggs.

My salmon is cooking in the toaster.
My blanched broccoli is waiting to be stir fried.
Bigger pieces.
Potato pancakes! Would've been good with ketchup or chili, but I'm not allowed to eat ketchup or tomato-based products.
So many things to wash afterwards...

I made two additional pieces for my flatmates, but in the end, I just put them in the ref for my consumption tomorrow. I'm shy because it's not yet good enough to let others try.

No comments: