Sunday, July 18, 2010

Malacca, I Like

Mmm..bread is angry about something he read
Bought a Singapore Youth Olympics tote bag. Thought tote would be enough for an overnight trip, but I was super wrong! There were so many things to buy.

Things I bought for the trip

Inside the bus.

The ride took 3.5 hours and 3 toilet breaks.


I love this shot. Looks very Beverly Hills (as if I've been there).




We rode the trickshaw (MYR 10)




The music from the trickshaw was blasting so loud that people were looking at us.


Ah... Jonker walk, the main attraction. It's a stretch filled with stores and resto. At night, they close the road to give way to the night market.


The street is quite narrow, so whenever there's a car, it's quite a hassle because you have to walk on the side, and some streets have canals (not a deep one, I guess just for rain water to flow to), which you can fall into if you're not careful.


Shoes can cost from MYR100 up, because they're handmade.

Super hot weather!

I don't like antiques, because you'll never know the history behind that antique piece




See how narrow?

Baba Nyonya house!
This is where they shot some of the scenes from Little Nyonya. Fee for the 35-min tour is MYR8. The guide will show you to the various rooms and tell you some infromation about it.
Too bad we're not allowed to take pictures inside. The staircase was very interesting, because you can cover the top and lock it up. No way for thieves or philandering husbands to get into the 2nd level once it's locked (this is what the guide said).



Wee! Thank goodness for toilets!


They're already setting up for the night market.


Giant pineapple tart








And women will always be women. So we're quits.

Cool floor.
I enjoyed my Malacca trip. Maybe because I didn't know what to expect, and therefore I was plesantly surprised.
Malacca gave me the feeling of stepping back into the olden times. The food, the architecture, the sights and sounds.
It's not a big place, so 2 days might be sufficent to roam around the central area.. 3 days if you'd also like to go to their zoo and other attractions, which are located farther.
Honestly, I thought I'd just go there and eat. That's why I just brought a small tote back.. but what do you know, they have a lot of interesting things. They sell cute tshirts (3 for MYR50), and I'm a tshirt fan. They also sell cutie stuff like bookmars, display items, and whatever you could think of.
Also, they have interesting snack food and drinks. I should have bought my duffel bag!
If you can appreciate culture and heritage, then you'd love this place. Otherwise, you'd probably find it boring.

2 comments:

Admin said...

did u went up the hill where st francis xavier was burried before?

Back in Davao said...

er..nope! didn't go to those historical places (except for the baba nyonya place)..instead we just shopped and ate! hehe