Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Finally Found You!

I've read books written by Whitney Gaskell and published under the 'Little Black Dress' label, and I liked her writing style. It's not painful to read it, and definitely not torture to finish her books.

I looked her up in the net, and learned that she has also written some other books.

I went to Borders, Kinokuniya, MPH and even Fully Booked, but they didn't carry the books I was looking for...

I was thinking of purchasing online, but my paranoia of my credit card being compromised got the better of me, so I decided against it.

When I was in Manila, I went to the Fully Booked branch there (mmm maybe I should check out Fully Booked again at Vivo City) and was giddy when I saw her book there!

I took it and bought 'Good Luck.' It was PHP250.

After paying, we went up to the higher levels of the store.

Ack! There on the pile of 80% Discount books was the bigger version of 'Good Luck'. It's PHP499, but was on 80% discount, so nett price is less than PHP100!


My heart was beating fast, and I felt my knees buckling. PHP150 is not a big amount (it's about sgd4.50 only), but it's just the thought of paying more for something that should have cost less, in the same store.

So, we decided to talk to the cashier to see if we can cancel the purchase, or atleast buy this one, and the cash we've already paid, we'll choose some other merchandise instead (because they probably can't return the cash).

They agreed and boy was I relieved.

I went home and started browsing thru the book.. fuzzy page..

Gaaak! Blank page!

Another skipped page, and another!

I finally learned why it was on 80% discount! Sniff.
I thought that it wouldn't matter that much, but when I finally reached the first blank page, my shoulder sagged. There's only so much my imagination can contribute.
Oh well, lesson learned. If anything is on sale, really try to find out the reason why. If it's clothing, there's probably a hole somewhere. If it's food, it's probably expiring soon. If it's books, there might be missing pages or worse, no ending! which would leave you hanging. So you'd have to visit the bookstore and read the ending there. What a waste of time.

No comments: