Sunday, July 25, 2010

Birthday Meal, Part 2

Shin Yeh at Liang Court, Clarke Quay. Serving Taiwan food.




The waiters who helped to scoop our food portions into individual bowls
My minced pork noodle. Noodle texture was just perfect. It was a bit sour (perhaps there's vinegar). It has that homey taste to it.

Minced pork with egg yolk, nice... but not nice enough to be under my 'to order next time' list.
Fried lean pork with fermented bean sauce. Yum!

My claw. 400 gram crab is SGD28. Price is okay, and crab was generally meaty (meaty on all parts except the claw.) but it didn't taste fresh. The crab meat was quite dry too.

Complimentary glutinous rice ball with crushed peanuts
My friends wanted to buy cake for me, so we went to Haagen Dazs. Was supposed to look for an ice cream cake, but saw our neighbours order, and decided to order the same thing.



7th Heaven with the smokey effect (dry ice).
7 flavours we chose: Vanilla, Belgian Chocolate, Apricot and Cream, Macadamia Nut, Tiramisu, Strawberry Cheescake and Caramel Biscuit and Cream
Gone in 60 seconds.. well... 60 seconds multiplied by about 8 or 9.

**********************************************************************
Wow! Second consecutive fun night!

I had dinner with my high school friends at Shin Yeh Taiwan resto located at Liang Court, Clarke Quay. We've been wanting to try this place for the longest time, but for some reason, it never pushes through, probably because it's located at Liang Court, one of the most boring malls.

We ordered thick spinach soup with small fishes inside. It's actually nice, and feels very healthy. The minced pork with egg yolk was okay, but like what I've mentioned above, it's really just okay and not something I would re-order.

The crab was dry and didn't taste fresh, but still okay. Again, not something I would re-order.

I ordered noodle because it's my birthday, but I wouldn't re-order either. I liked the noodle's texture because it's springy, but the taste was a bit sour for me, maybe next time I'll order the other noodle dish with prawns instead.

The last dish was the fried lean pork with fermented bean sauce. This one was very nice. Tender meat and crispy outer layer. The sauce compliments it well too. I'd re-order this next time.

Over all, though food was not spectacular, the resto is worth going back to because:
1. It's reasonably priced
2. The taste is clean. Again, it may not be fabulous, but it's not offending either
3. The food gives you that 'comforting' feel, that home-cooked taste (which I've read is their aim).
3. There's so much variety, and I'm willing to try the other dishes

The discussions were so engaging and funny, that perhaps our voices may have increased by one notch because the lady from the other table kept looking at us.

After dinner, we went back to the main 'happening' area at Clarke Quay, where all the restaurants and bars are located, and settled for Haagen Dazs.

We were looking for a cake for me, but got drawn by the beauty of our neighbour's ice cream order, which was the Seventh Heaven. We ordered the same thing, and within minutes after the platter was put on our table, the ice cream and fruits were gone! We still chatted at first about how good the ice cream were (we chose the flavours), but after a few statements from each of us (3 of us), we just attacked the dessert!

No comments: