Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fish Balls

One day, I suddenly got the urge to make my own fishballs.

So on a Friday night, after dinner with some colleagues, I went to Carre Four at Plaza Singapura and bought white fish, chives, carrots, watercress and ginger. Oh, and Taiwan Ban Mian as well.

2 slabs of white fish
The miscellaneous ingredients

Big piece of ginger to fight the fishy smell.


Chop chop chop

mince mince mince

The semi-mashed fish

The first 3 balls. AKA Quality Control balls. Whenever I cook, I would always test a couple of pieces to make sure the taste is okay.

The first cooked ball. Hmmm.. I guess taste-wise it's okay. It taste like fish, in the shape of a ball. Definitely not the same bouncy texture as the ones in hawker centres and food courts.
One major problem though, it crumbles easily.

I used rice flour (because I didn't have corn flour or corn starch).
The only solution for the crumbliness is to coat the balls with rice flour before dropping it into the pot of boiling water.


Balls
The cooked fish balls

Now, to make the soup.
I julienned some carrots to add to the fish stock.


The watercress goes into the pot next, as well as the chives.

Another round of taste-testing.



The cooked ban mian

Chadah! The finished product.

I digged out the noodles

Lunch in bed


In total, I made 4 big bowls of fishball noodle soup.
I'm proud of myself, because it's actually not bad. But, I don't think I'll be making it again anytime soon. It's too tiring.

No comments: