Saturday, December 6, 2008

Little Korean Girl


Today I witnessed this little Korean girl's first bus ride alone.

For the past few days, I have noticed that this little girl would hop on to the bus, followed by her mom, but her mom and her baby sister would be sitting at another part of the bus, far from her. Then, at Toa Payoh interchange, she would get off. I don't know where the mum and sister went after.

Anyway, I saw the same thing for a few days, but ofcourse didn't think much of it. Then, today, the little girl climbed up the big bus ahead of me and blocked the way because she was dropping some coins into the payment slot.

I took my seat and then I saw her sit on one corner, all hunched down and looking sad (and worried). She was hugging her pink bag. After a few minutes, I saw her shiver and pull a small white jacket to put on.

I watched her for a few minutes. Wow, I'm guessing she's just 6 or 7, and she's riding the bus alone. I wonder how her mom felt, letting her little baby go (into the big bad world). But I know exactly how that little girl felt.

Scared, worried, sad, lonely, excited, anxious, feeling brave. All mixed up.
She has no choice but to grow up fast because this place can be harsh. Really. No room for lost people. You have to move fast or be left behind (and stepped on).

2 comments:

Smarter Than Ever said...

Awwww. Very vivid description.

Unknown said...

aww che i loved that story =')