Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Lesson for the Mums and Pops




If you have young children, and you're eating at a restaurant or foodcourt, would you please please ensure your kids are always beside you!? Geez!

This is what happened.. Last Sunday, my friends and I had brunch at Food Opera in Ion (sounds cool, but it's actually just the food court). I'm not a breakfast eater, so I didn't feel like eating rice or noodles. I looked around and finally decided on prata- cheese and mushroom, my favorite!

I was waiting for my prata at What You Do Prata stall. This caucasian mom, came back to get her order. I've actually forgotten that someone was ahead of me. Anyway, she got a tray and put it in a vertical position (mine was horizontal, following the tray line).

Her plate of pratas were put there, and the lady laddled a small metal bowl with super hot curry sauce. I don't know why, but the mom left the tray and went somewhere (not to get the spoon or fork because it's just in front of the tray line). When she was like 6 or 7 steps away, her baby girl, who's probably just 2, stretched herself and tried to reach for the tray.

Her tiny fingers came into contact with the corner of the tray, and maybe because she was getting a bit off-balanced, that pressure caused the tray to tip over. I was just there, and I saw it with my eyes- the plate of pratas , the tray, the sauce, falling into the ground (it was like watching a slow-mo movie), and I was too surprised to do anything. I knew I moved and flanked my arms, but that's just about it.

The next thing I heard was the baby crying. The curry sauce poured down on her cute little right hand, and her mom was back, shouting "Get me cold water, quick!". The lady server got the cold water (but in slow-mo as well. I think she was as shocked as me).

Man, I was so scared, I thought the mom was going to turn around and accuse me!

Anyway, since the cold water came too slowly, the mom barged into the kitchen area and washed the baby's hand. The dad (big dad) came in too and they kept washing the hand while the baby kept crying. When I saw the baby's hand, it was soooo red! Poor thing.

They rushed out and I don't know where they went after. Hopefully to the Guardian pharmacy store next door.

When I got my order, I quickly walked back to my table, still afraid the mom might come back and accuse me.

No comments: