Thursday, September 17, 2009

Do I Look Singaporean?

Or is it because I look approachable..?

Honestly, I'm just curious. In the eyes of tourists, do they take me as a local?

Anyway...

It seems like this past month, I get approached by tourists to ask for directions on a weekly basis. Most of them are mandarin speaking too! So sometimes, even if I do know the place, I can't really help them. There's this language barrier you see.

I can speak mandarin, but barely enough directional vocabulary to get the meaning accross. How do you explain to someone that you have to cross the street, but to cross you must go down the mrt station again to get out of the other exit, and then take a bus, and get off after 2 stops. How?
Anyway, I jogged earlier this evening. After my jog, I was walking back and stopped outside a hawker centre to stare at the egg noodles with pork and wonton. I was debating with myself whether I should buy myself a small plate for takeaway or not.

Standing there, sweating and minding my own business, when this woman came forward, thrusting a piece of paper and asked if I knew Aqueen hotel. I said no, but realised I've seen this hotel during my Tuesday jog along Balestier.

I asked for the paper again, but ended answering in English 'It's just here', swaying my arm sideways to show that she's on the right street. Whether to turn left or right, that I cannot answer.

So anyway, I ended up not buying the delicious looking egg noodles (and my stomach growling in complaint) because the woman went into the hawker to ask for directions.

No comments: