Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cu Chi Tunnel


First of all, I don't know how to explain about Cu Chi Tunnel, so it would be better to do a search on google or whichever search engine.
Second of all, getting into the tunnel is no joke because there's a lot of 'can'ts'.

You can't be:

1. Fat
2. Very tall
3. Claustrophobic
4. Achluophobic
5. Unathletic.

We started the trip by going to Sinh Cafe to wait for our bus. It was about a few hours trip to Cu Chi Tunnel. When we got there, we started the group tour around the area. There were throngs of other tourists, which made it more difficult to keep up with the tour guide (he was alone, mind you) after we took turns posing for the camera.

Basically, he showed us the different tunnels, traps and weapons used during the war. But the highlight of the half-day trip was the small tunnel where we (Only me and my friends. The other peeps, they got out of the tunnel halfway via the escape route with stairs) jumped in after the tunnel tour guide and finished the whole length. The tunnel was, ofcourse, small but the first few steps were okay. Then, as we went further, the hole became smaller and smaller and the only source of light were the tiny red bulbs on the sides. We had to duck walk, which was fine for the first few minutes. After some time though, my legs were starting to complain. It gets harder, when I realized that there was a hole on top of me, which meant I needed to lift myself up to go to the higher level. The hole was almost my shoulder-height, which again meant I had to lift my own body weight from chest to feet. Thank goodness I lift weights! My gym sessions have paid off somehow.

There were 2 holes where you need to lift yourself. The 10 minute experience felt like hours! When we got out of the hole, it seemed like we were running for 3 hours straight. Personally, there were visible beads of sweat from all of the pores on my face.

I'm proud of myself! =)
Note: The entrance to the tunnel (as shown in the picture) was super big, but the actual passageway was super small.

No comments: