Saturday, November 6, 2010

Nothing New

Still about food...

Isshin at Republic Plaza

Weekday lunch with a friend. Nothing remarkable here, except it's a great lunch period getaway. It's a bit expensive for weekday lunch, so it's not crowded.

Ramen at Ginza Barin, ION
Char siew ramen, during my ramen-craving days

At Pu Tien, City Square one Saturday night. We were supposed to have their ala carte buffet, but we were told they stopped the buffet thingy. Dang. I remember it's supposedly worth it (from what I saw and read). Because they serve seafood, like whole grouper or whatever.



Not much restaurant choices at City Square, so we still went ahead and ordered their ala carte dishes. This was boiled pork with yummy sauce.

Watermelon shake by the pitcher. Not nice, because it became super watery after just a few minutes. (Really the watermelon's fault)

Spinach with century egg and salted egg. Nice.

Pork. Nice also.

Taro with duck. Okay.


Fried rice.
Overall, the food was good, buuuut... in the midst of it all, a fly went to our area and flew about. My friend waved her hand to shoo it away, and it made a dive to my other friend's watermelon shake. The fly was still struggling to do some backstroke swimming moves when the wait staff approached. Ewww.

Towards the end of the meal, another fly came to our table.

It was disgusting. I mean, I don't even see flies in hawker centres.. so how come there were flies inside the restaurant? There's something wrong with their hygiene then.

Chicket pot at Square 2.


The concept is good.. You're served with this chicken stew..so you eat eat eat (with rice).. when the soup is almost dried out, they will pour soup stock over it, then it gets converted into a soup. You can add in more ingredients like fresh veggies, which you get to choose from their ref.


Ramen from Tampopo.. still during my ramen-craving days. Soup stock was made of pork bone and seafood (probably just shrimp shells since it tasted very shrimpy).

SAM at OUB Centre. One of my weekday lunch getaway spot.

Their prawn dumpling soup. Just something to fill the stomach.

Paradise Dynasty. A new chinese resto at ION. (From the Paradise group - Paradise Inn, Taste Paradise)

They serve these flavoured xiao long baos. I was excited because one of the flavours was foie gras. I've eaten the foie gras xiao long bao from Taste Paradise and loved it.

So when my boyfriend came over, I suggested this place.

He ordered the pork rib noodle soup, which was okay but rather oily.

I ordered the noodle in dan dan sauce. A dish I like because I've eaten a very nice one at a hawker centre near People's Park.

I was suuuuper disappointed with my order. It's suuuuper oily (you can see the oil on my spoony), and it just didn't taste good. What made it worst was the overpowering taste of peanut on the soup. I don't like peanuts!

After 20 minutes or so (after we've eaten our noodles), the xiao long bao's came out. Colorful and cute, but taste was suuuper disappointing as well.

Service wasn't good, food wasn't good.. I regretted choosing this place. Took so much of our precious time, the stores were all closed by the time we finished our dinner.

My boss's birthday dinner treat at Capella, Sentosa

It's semi fine dining, that I even wore a dress and high heels.

It's a 5-course dinner. I forgot how much it was exactly, I just knew it's about 80/head.. excluding drinks. Then, the wait staff kept pouring still water/sparkling water (Fiji) onto our glasses.. and guess what, the total water bill was about SGD200+!!! Outrageous! This only meant the dinner was about SGD100 per head including the drinks.

First dish was laksa, which was okay, although I still like the chicken laksa at Toa Payoh. It's way way better.

Satay, quite tender.

Spring rolls. The skin was too thick.

Chili prawn and some pork dish. Yawn yawn.

Claypot rice. The one at Far East Plaza top floor is so much better.

Banana fritter (Not nice) and something like Gula Melaka with ice cream (nice)

Chicken rice at Square 2, while waiting for my steamed grouper take-away (for my flatmate who just had a surgery)


Scallop baked rice in lobster bisque. First half was very yummy.. but the richness gets to you after the first half.

Banana something dessert.

Taiwan restaurant at Vivo City



Cranberry juice

Buddha jumped over the fence soup. I know, it's supposed to be jump over the wall, but seeing the limited ingredients in this SGD12 bowl, it seems like it's just over a fence.

Hong-ma (stewed pork). Some parts were tender and yummy, while some were too hard that I didnt' even bother eating it. My teeth won't be too happy if I forced them to chew it. Fried rice.


One Friday night at St. James Power Station
15 minutes and 1 vodka cranberry later, my friend and I left the place.

The houseband was singing latin songs, and there's just something wrong.. loudness is one thing, but annoying sound quality is another.

Bye St James Power Station, I don't think I'll ever step into this place again. I'd rather spend the drinking money on something more useful.

No comments: