Saturday, September 3, 2011

Cooking Project - Japanese Hamburger Steak

My friend and I went to a cooking demo somewhere very far (I've forgotten where). It's a demo by a Japanese guy who's passionate about cooking. He's not a chef or what. He just loves to cook.

Basically, it's SGD25 for the demo, inclusive of the lunch - 1 pc thick hamburger steak, mashed potatoes, veggies and miso soup. Plus entertainment from his two cutesy Japanese daughters.

Inspired by the class, I decided to cook my own hamburger steak.

I love Meidi-ya! A Japanese supermarket inside Liang Court at Clarke Quay.

Ooooh! Different tonkatsu sauce bottles. I bought the mini for myself.


Love it! Australian minced beef and pork mix. No need to manually calculate the 70/30 beef to pork ratio.


I got home and realised that shucks, I've already thrown out my expired breadcrumbs! What to do, what to do?


Me being me (meaning: resourceful), I rummaged through my food stack and took a pack of Sky Flakes. This will do.


Roll and roll to turn them crackers into crumbs.


There, as crumbly as it could be.


Ooops! Added a photo that is not supposed to be in this post. Anyway, I hate seeing receipts. It's so irritating!


I made mashed potatoes to compliment my hamburger patties. It was good! This despite the lack of cream. I didn't want to buy a pack of cream just for the purpose of using about 5 tbsp for the mashed potatoes.



Sauteeing some onions for the pattie.


Fresh milk into the bowl of crumbs to moisten it up. (As usual, I put too much)

I don't have a pepper cracker yet, so I had to crush them using the brute force of my palm.


Meat + moist breadcrumbs + sauteed and cooled onions + salt + pepper + 1 egg


A not so pinking mixture (must be because of the overly moist breadcrumbs)


The uneven (and thick) patties,


Look at them! One pushing the other for wok space.


I might've exaggerated on the 'dent the center' thing because now the center is very white compared to the sides.

(You're supposed to make a small dent in the center of each pattie, so that it would cook evenly.)


My mini tonkatsu sauce (always remember to pronounce it as tonkats without the 'u')

The fried up burgers.


It won't be complete without the sauce.


Mmmmm...


Look at that, so much food!


Almost done with the first piece. Not bad, not bad at all!

I would definitely cook this again because it's relatively easy.



No comments: