Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ako Ay Pilipino (I'm a Filipino)






Their dance would be accompanied by a loud rhytmic drum beat






The guy with the guitar, that's Noel Cabangon! (They're sound checking)


The dude who kept blocking my view
They're looking at the dishes


Queen Esther

Very Filipino - to sit anywhere, no matter how uncomfortable the position may be
I was never the nationalistic type of person. I had complaints about the Philippines (well still do... but read on..) but when I started working and living here in Singapore, I realised that I really do love the Philippines.
I remember when I was young, My dad and I were walking to my school to catch the flag ceremony when a guy snatched his gold medallion necklace and pushed him to the ground. My dad bounced back up, and we turned around and actually chased the snatchers (there were 2 of them and they ran towards different directions). A civilian waiting for a jeepney (a form of public transportation) actually helped us chase and tackle the guy!

Anyway, I realised that a part of me is very much pro-Philippines.
Last week, the Singapore Art Museum had a Filipino event. I was there and I can't help but feel happy and proud. They showcased some Filipino products, some customs like the ati-atihan dance and Santa Cruzan parade. 7,107 Flavours (a restaurant serving Philippine dishes) was also there, selling some of the most famous Pinoy dishes like Kare kare (which a caucasian Female actually asked the waiter for), adobo, bicol express, pancit habhab.

There was also a free performance by Noel Cabangon from 9-12midnight (Which I didn't get to watch . *sniff*). I knew his song 'Kanlungan' from way way back, but I never knew he's the singer. While I was there in the afternoon, they were doing some sound checks and practising their song line-up. Wow, he's fantastic! His voice was cool and smooth and very pleasant to the ears. I wish he'd have a concert again!

No comments: