Sunday, November 11, 2012

Euston, We Have a Problem

Platform nine. Train going from Manchester to Euston, London. USD 162 for one way.




As first class passengers, we were given a box of cookies and a can of soda (or juice or coffee).
I brought some snacks myself. A shortbread cookie from the hotel, Cheetos, and a bar of Wispa (I love this chocolate bar).

The problem was, we were seated against the train's travelling direction. Meaning if the train was moving towards the south. We were facing the north.. or something like that. I'm sure you get what I mean.

That plus the fact that our co-passengers were sooooo noisy, their voices were like tiny hammers inside my head. I felt like puking then.
Anyway, the good thing was we had a bus waiting to transport us to our hotel after the train ride. The luggages were super heavy!

This was our room at Lancaster Hotel.  We requested for a king size bed, so when we got back from dinner, the housekeeping had already combined the two beds and have changed the beddings.
The view. Or lack of it.
After checking in, we rushed out because we had an 8:30 reservation at Jamie Oliver's Restaurant.
The tube ride was expensive! Plus, I was surpised at how old the station was... and oh, how hot it was.
But, in the end, we were not able to make it to our reservation (and later on got an email from the restaurant) because the guy from the concierge told us the wrong station to get off from.
Anyway, it turns out Jamie Oliver's restos are spread everywhere. He also had one near the station where we got off.
Puttanesca was so-so... Too al dente.
Steak and side order of polenta chips. Okay and okay.
Do I recommend Jamie Oliver's resto? For the experience and bragging rights, yes.  For the food, no.
We took the bus home.. Goodie, it looks like the busses in Singapore.

I must say, London at night scared me. It was dark, and it somehow gave me the feeling that there's danger hiding on the street corners.
This is totally unrelated to the London trip. Anyway, I bought this bag at Manchester , and I love it! The leather is soft and it's so light. Side note though, I learned that it's cheaper to buy it online. Also, the leather is very fragile. I just noticed two nights ago that mine got 2 small scratches near the long strap hook. Made me sad =(

No comments: