Saturday, May 14, 2011

Yan Ting at St. Regis

Lobby decor








This is the life, eating in a resto of a 6-star hotel on a lazy Sunday. (My friend's bday treat)


The toilet (and that's me!)


In the dining area... ooooh classy classy.





The cutlery spread





The buffet menu. We didn't go for it, because it's SGD90++ (I think).


Cover of the hard menu


Dim Sum list. Price is still okay, but then, who can leave the plate with just an order of siomai, hakaw and radish cake, right? You'd definitely be tempted to order a lot, so it all adds up.







Classy restos always have a soup spoon cradle.


2 out of the 5 cashew nuts




First batch of our orders: har gaw, chives thingy and hmmm I forgot what the white one was called.



My share!


What a thing of beauty. This two-faced dim sum is good.


The pork. Not part of the dim sum dishes. I couldn't remember the price, but it was expensive. But oh, the pork was soooo tender!





Next batch: Siew mai, custard bun, and flaky char siew thing.


I liked the texture of this dim sum. It's light and airy, and not oily. For it to be flaky, a lot of butter must've went into the batter.


Radish cake.. nice, but not 6-star quality.



I love custard buns, so I'm quite sensitive to all of its components.


The bun was soft, but the custard filling didn't ooze out. Maybe their custard buns really weren't supposed to do that... but, for me, their bun is just a 3/5.



Oooooze! What a bummer. Filling didn't even budge.


Hmm I forgot what this is called. It's fried. And usually, anything fried is tasty. But nothing impressive about this dish.


Longan dumpling appetizer (as if we needed any help to whet our appetites)


It's longan with crabstick filling, atop a cucumber. Very refreshing!


Xiao long baoooo! We would never skip ordering xiao long bao in a dim sum place.


I loved the presentation. A medium-sized bao on its own serving dish. How cute! It sits there comfortably (not like the others who gets steamed on the bamboo steamer).



Aren't you a heavy-weight...






Ginger and black vinegar


I bit a small hole and managed to sip some of the soup inside without scalding my tongue. But it was just too difficult, so I just watched the soup drain out of the bao.



The XLB is good.. but my top three would still be:


1. Din Tai Fung

2. Taste Paradise Foie Gras XLB ( this is so much better than the one from Paradise Dynasty)

3. Yan Ting

Egg tarts. Combination of flaky and buttery crust. I like. But it's just too small.


I love Lord Stow's egg tart, but I guess I'm starting to realise that a real egg tart should look yellowish than whitish.

Rice roll with asado (char siew). Hehehe, I'm calling it based on how it's called in Manila.



Another round of siew mai. The siew mai here is good. The prawn was very very crunchy and fresh. Highly recommended.



I love you.



Oh, and another order of har gaw.
Dammit! How can I not gain weight!?


Mango pudding. Whew, at least they didn't use the Malaysian mangoes. This was good, would've been perfect.. oh wait, this was my friend's mango pomelo. I wasn't able to upload my mango pudding. Darn. Anyway, my mango pudding was good. With milk, it would have been a 5. But then, maybe I could've asked for it, but I didn't. I know, my fault. My mom would've said 'Mouth is with you'. (A direct translation from the hokkien version)


Silky mangoes.


Fresh mangoes with some custard, wrapped in a silky mochi-like thing. Very nice.. and the temperature of this dessert was just perfect.


Mmm.. and I love you too.
*********************************************************************

My dear friend's birthday was last March, but because I had chicken pox and then molar extraction and 1 month chicken pox diet, they waited for me to get well before having this bday celebration meal. (Sweet right?)



After much thought, it was finally decided that we will eat at Yan Ting in St. Regis. It's recommended by Lady Iron Chef, a famous blogger, so we were game to try it.



I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I'm thinking of bringing my parents and boyfriend there when they come to visit me.


No comments: