Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Radish Cake Project

One day, I just wanted to make radish cake.

I wanted to perfect a dish which people can associate to me. Something I can prepare on rare occassions which will excite people and prompt them to say 'ooooh, she's preparing her radish cake!'.

I don't know, must be the age... I'm getting older ( I mean more mature), and my way of thinking is beginning to change.

Plastic bowl from Daiso.. for the mixing mixing

Mini weighing scale from Daiso. For the weighing weighing


Cutie! But not so accurate. The pointer shifts after each weigh-in.


The ingredients: Radish, Rice Flour, Wheat Starch (to thicken it up and allow it to form), oyster sauce, dried shrimps and salt.


First, peel the raddish. The recipe I followed called for 500-600 grams of radish.. The radish I used weight about 500+ grams. Which turns out to be too little.


The peeling part was easy..



The shredding was a super arm workout. Would've been great except I used my right arm all throughout. My arms muscles are no longer balanced.




I left some radish - to make my own picked radish.


Second step: Cook the radish in water until it becomes soft. During this process, the radish smell will come out and it will literally stench up your house..



Boil for about 20 minutes until tender, and until the smell disappears.


Meanwhile, fry a handful of dried shrimps until toasted. Don't worry so much about the measurement, and put in more. Radishes are tasteless, and dried shrimp will help add flavour. Make sure the oil isn't too hot though...




Or else it will get burnt, like the first batch I fried.


I took out my Bibigo take away wooden spoon. Wanted to use this to mix my flour mixture.


Second batch of perfectly fried shrimps.


I'm supposed to crush it into bits. I don't have a mortar, so I used the butt of this glass. It didn't do anything to the shrimps. So I had to manually tear them into smaller bits.



The radish is done. I just strained and pressed the water out.


I weighed 300 grams of rice flour, and 60 grams of wheat starch. You can't put too much starch, because it might get too gooey and too hard.


Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly


Put a teaspoon of oyster sauce and a teaspoon of salt, is what the recipe said. But in the end, I put in 3 tsp of oyster sauce and 1.5 teaspoon of salt. I think the taste would've been perfect if I put in about 5 tsp of oyster sauce. (or, more dried shrimps)


I made a small hole in the middle of the flour mixture


And poured in about 600-700 ml of boiling water.


This was the super hard part, mixing them together. Wooden spoon couldn't take it, so I had to use this thick plastic spoon


What a mess!


Super thick mixture. It's not even dough-like.


One of the last steps: Mixing in the radish into the flour mixture.




Once the mixture is well blended, put in a steamable mold


Steam for about 30 minutes, depending on the thickness. You'll know it's done when you insert a toothpick or a knife, and it comes out clean.


The first bite. Hmmm ... the taste was too subtle in its steamed state.


I don't eat steamed radish..it's got to be fried, so that's what I did.


With catsup. It's actually good when fried.


I made 4 trays of radish cake.


Preparation and cooking time, about 3 hours. If only I had a big steamer, then it wouldn't have taken so long.


My flatmate and friend said it's good. Whether they're being polite or honest, I would never know for sure.



For me, they were okay. I think I can serve them to people (but not with 100% confidence), it needs some improvements though.



So, I looked for another recipe, and decided to make another batch (which I did, exactly one week after.)

No comments: