Monday, August 2, 2010

The Quest for the Round Crispy Waffles a.k.a Leige Waffles

On the foot bridge, crossing from Golden Mile Complex to Golden Mile Food Centre

The dreaded 'slippery when wet' floor.


Cute waffle drawing!




Cut-up liege waffles with chocolate dip.
**************************************************************
My Sunday task: To look for the liege waffles at Golden Mile Food Centre.
I've heard of this place before, but I've never really ventured out to look for it. 1.) Because it's in the Green line (mrt) and 2.) Because it's in the Green line.
Somehow, I haven't explored the Green MRT line much. I mean, I've been to Bugis and Tanjong Pagar and Tong Bahru and Expo and Airport, but I just don't feel really comfortable riding the Green line.
Anyway, for the task on hand, I rose to the challenge and went there. I got off the Lavender station, looked at the map, couldn't understand it, and tried to walk while mentally imagining the map. After a few minutes, I just gave up. I turned around and just walked to where I felt the Golden Mile Food Centre was located.
It was raining then, but not heavily yet, that's why I could still stroll slowly (I'm afraid of slipping). I saw a kopitiam like place, hooray! shelter from the rain! I stepped on the floor and did the wobbly feet and arm flapping dance. This was accompanied by a calmly uttered 'wuh!', the uncle looked at me and I just walked on.
So much for shelter. I walked towards the non-slip area (but no shelter). Never mind the rain, as long as I don't slip.
I saw a Bus Stop, so I looked at the map. Woohoo! I'm in the right track. Some more slippery floor later, I was finally at Golden Mile Complex, which meant I've walked pass Golden Mile Food Centre. Dang! I went back, but got a bit scared first because Golden Mile turns out to be the mini Thailand.
Anyway, I crossed the street and was finally at the Food Centre. Some 10 minutes of looking around later, I gave up and texted my contact to ask for the stall number. 01-67. Yey! Found it.
I'm not at all unfamiliar with liege waffles, because I've been eating it on those late nights when I had no other food choices but what Starbucks had to offer. Their waffles are okay, but a bit dry and has an aftertaste, that's why I always put butter and jam in each hole to moisten it up.
But you see, you never really realise how mediocre a thing is until you find something better. And for the liege waffles category, the one from Sweet Stone is really so much better. It's firm but not dry, and more importantly, it doesn't leave an aftertaste (like something's stuck on the wall of your mouth). The chocolate dip was also very good, taste like the real chocolate thing. I mean, I've never been a fan of chocolate fountains because they're watery and cheap tasting, but this one was rich and creamy.
One thing I can say is, it's not easy talking while eating something with liquid chocolate. Imagine, the chocolate even got to my neck! I was pretty sure there were chocolate stuck in my teeth, but thank goodness there was none when I checked at the Nicoll Highway MRT toilet.

2 comments:

Admin said...

OMG! rain or shine! near or far! notwithstanding any obstacles! u can be in discovery living or asian food channel as host or producer? , the likes of anthony bourdaine?!

Back in Davao said...

Why not, if I'd have enough followers to entice advertisers, and enough advertisers to sustain the show. hehehe.