Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Crab Mentality

The proof
This was not even the claw part, and it's still white, and fleshy and yummy.. (This was already at home, sauce converted into pasta topping)

From the refrigerator..


All heated up and shining with its oiliness





Chili crab sauce over tubular spaghetti (dont buy this type of spaghetti! it's not nice at all)


Taken with shaky hands at No Signboard, Vivo City


Australian Snow Crab. It sure is long-legged.



***********************************************************************************


I never thought absence from blogging can affect me much, but look at me now, I'm having difficulty blogging! Maybe it's because there's just too much to blog that I don't know where to start. Or, maybe my mind's messed up-with work, homesickness, stress, etc.

Whatever it is, I'm going to fight it to be able to blog as much as I could about the week that was.
One of the most important happenings the past week was my crab dinner with my ahia last Sunday.

There are a lot of good crab places in Singapore. But for foreigners, the most popular would have to be No Signboard.

So, I decided to bring my brother to No Signboard at Vivo City. (To show off, primarily).

Anyway, I am admittedly clueless about crabs. Usually, my friends would order and I would just eat. And pay of course.

So this time around, I had no choice but to order for me and my brother. I told the waitress:

Me: For two people
Waitress: What crab you want?
Me: Australian snow crab (Because by kg, it's the cheapest at 130/kg) (wrong choice!!!)
Waitress: Smallest about 1.4 kg okay?
Me: Okay (dumb dumb)
Waitress: Okay ah
Brother: How bout the Sri Lankan crab?
Waitress: Ah that one very small

A few minutes after, my brother realised it would have been cheaper if we just ordered the set for two, which was only sgd139 (notice I said 'only'). It included salad, crab, vegetable and dessert.

Brother: Can we change to the set menu?
Waitress: Order in already, cannot cancel. Sorry ah. Maybe next time you order that ...
(and this conversation was repeated again until she walked away)

As the minutes passed, we realised the silliness of what the waitress said. The order was already in? We can't cancel it anymore? Then how come our crab still wasn't out? It's crazy! In just minutes they have already killed the crab?

Anyway, some 20 excruciating minutes passed, and my hands were shaking, my mind was reeling and I was computing how much it would cost, and thinking if I had enough cash with me.

The crab came, and we took some quick shots.

We tried to enjoy the crab, but somehow, there was weight on our shoulders. I guess my brother couldn't take it anymore, so he asked the waitress how heavy the crab was. It was 1.4kg!

And we have calculated the total bill. Exaggerating on the cost of mantou bread, and pickles, wet tissue, tax and all miscellaneous charges.

Good thing is, our minds were still able to register that the crab was very tasty (despite the worry). Sweet, tender, white and succulent. The chili sauce was great and flavorful, but despite this, the taste of the crab remained. Not overpowered by the sauce. You can taste the crab itself, and then taste the sauce against the soft mantou bread.

We have finally finished eating (with a few pieces left and alot of sauce for takeaway) and it was time to pay.

I asked for the bill, and when I opened the black folder.... cha-dah! bill was sgd219.

Dang, but our dinner was someone else's one-month salary in the Philippines.

Anyway, I gave them my mastercard and hoped it would go through (cause we all know how cards can sometimes malfunction. The magnetic stripe, usually). Thankfully, it went thru (I just hope the exchange rate isn't too big since I used my Philippine credit card [because I never applied for an SG credit card]).

Lesson learned:
1. Never stop asking questions
2. Be attentive and alert (on the menu and whatever the waitress says)
3. Do not be shy. Voice out your concerns and be not afraid that people will look down on you.

No comments: