Sunday, August 23, 2009

Warning: With Gross Picture Content

The successful dish: Chicken with watercress


Boiling the water for the herbal chicken
The blasted herbs

Chicken from Fair Price - sgd5.70
Sorry chickie


The blasted herbs



What a waste of good chicken soup...
Starting last night (Friday), I had this urge to cook.

Since I still have some leftover watercress, I decided to cook chicken soup with watercress. I bought this pack of chicken breast with bone from Fair Price, more of bone than the meat actually ( I think it's really meant for boiling chicken soup). It's cheap! Not even 2 dollars.
Anyway, I boiled that and added the watercress. It was yummy!

Following this success, I decided to push thru with my cooking plan for today - herbal chicken soup. There's this store called Hock Hua which sells all these medicinal herbs for cooking. They also sell those pre-packed herbs with specific medicinal purpose (to increase chi, improve digestion, promote blood circulation etc), you just need to dump it all into the soup.

Unfortunately though, when I bought the chicken from the grocery, I forgot to ask them to chop it up for me. I also didn't see that it was the whole chicken! With the head and the scary claws!
I had to cut the head off, and watch it resist my blunt knife. Then I had to remove the claws, and dump it into the trash bag.

Anyway, the chicken soup was good, then I went ahead and dropped in the herbs. Big mistake! It was too strong, too bitter, too sharp, too weird.

And it seemed each time I drank the soup, I end up getting a terrible headache. Lesson learned the hard (expensive and time consuming) way, I will never ever cook these herbal soups again!

One thing's for sure, my mom would have been proud to see me dress the chicken. (I've cleaned chicken before, but not this extreme).

No comments: