Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Mandarin Chicken Rice at Chatterbox





































For my birthday, my friends and I have decided to celebrate it at Chatterbox, located at the 39th level of Meritus Mandarin.
We've all heard that the chicken rice there is just the best, so my birthday seems to be the perfect time to try it.
We ordered one chicken rice set each, and another order of their Ngo Hiang for sharing.
Since I love leg and thigh parts in a chicken, I specified for that one (or rather, they asked). My friends chose the breast meat.
Our orders came, and we were so excited to try it.
Before going further, one tip is, if you're going there to try their chicken rice, don't order anything else. The chicken rice is big enough to fill you up, you just won't appreciate the other dish/es.
I took a bite, and it was good. But honestly, not the 'close your eyes in delight' delicious. The good thing about the dish was, it tasted clean, and the chicken was cooked thoroughly (none of those surprising moments when you enjoy the cooked white meat, but when you get to the bone, you realise it's still bloody. Eeew). Also, the sauces were obviously fresh, and not like the hawker style of pouring new mixture into the old mixture just to fill up the sauce jar (Eew). But the rice and the soup, I've tasted better ones from hawkers.
Another tip, better order the breast part even if you like leg and thighs. Anyway, it's still very tender even if it's breast meat. My friend's chicken breast meat was white and fat, while mine was dark and skinny. Also, the chicken skin was too fatty (It's not the chef's fault, but the chicken's).
All in all, it's one very nice experience. Specially since Chatterbox is on the 39th floor, so high up that you can see Orchard below and point 'oooh there's Wisma, and there's Far East'. (Last tip, go there early so that you get to enjoy the view while there's still daylight).
I would probably consider bringing special guests there for the experience.
Per chicken order is SGD24++

No comments: