Sunday, September 5, 2010

Red Gave Me a Fright

Yeheeeey!

Another shot..

and another...

The blasted thumb drive. I didn't purposely break it. The cover just fell off.


Hooooray!



My laptop, Red, gave me a fright on Aug 31. I was going to have some pictures printed at the nearby photo-printing kiosk so I inserted a thumb drive.
AVG alerted me that it's infected. I panicked and pulled out the thumb drive.
I re-inserted it and my brother and I tried to 'kill' the blasted worm. The thumb drive was cleaned, by the worm remained on my laptop. AVG said that if I forced to remove the infected file, it may cause the system to crash. That levelled-up my fear.

My brother stayed up with me till 4am, to teach me how to download spyware and to re scan the computer. I finally gave up, and decided to go to sleep.
Red was put on 'hibernate' mode.
On 1 Sep, I asked helped from my friend. She referred me to her colleague, who obviously has a kind soul.
When I got home, KS (this shall be his code) went on remote access (via Team Viewer, which my boyfriend had previously set up for me. Thank goodness!) to cure Red.
After a few minutes, the computer restarted.
When it got back, everything was normal.. no messages or any prompt to say that everything's okay.
I re-scanned the computer, and towards the middle, a box popped up and said the system was restored successfully. Hoooooooray!
After the scan, it showed zero infections already. Hoooooray hoooooray again!
Credits go to:
My brother who stayed up with me till the wee hours of the morning, to calm me down during my moments of panic, and who tried to guide me through the techy procedures.
My boyfriend, who had the foresight to have the Team Viewer installed in my laptop.
KS who wholeheartedly helped me (and there was even a follow-through), though we've never even met each other.
Friends who gave their advises, offered to give me CD to reboot the system, and lent me thumb drive (clean one) to back up my files.

This means a lot to a tech-challenged person like me.

No comments: