Sunday, February 15, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire


I was told that it's a great movie.
So, I told my friend that I was told that it's a great movie.
My friend and I decided to watch it.
It was a good decision.
Except for the fact that my seatmate kept asking her boyfriend to explain to her almost each and every scene (and not so softly), I enjoyed the movie.
I'm hard to please when it comes to movies, especially if I've been told that the movie is great. I think I would consciously find flaws to disprove what I was told. But for this one, I totally agree that's it's agood movie.

Anyway, although it's about poverty and real-life problems, I found it very refreshing . Primarily because for me, there was none of the Hollywood glam. There was no famous-named actors (well for me, anyway, because I am not familiar with Bollywood actors) and no over or under-acting.
Ofcourse I still have questions about some details, but I couldn't complain about the acting style, or line-delivery, or scene-shots.
Would I recommend this film? Yes, ofcourse.
One thing though- It was obvious from my seatmate's ra-ta-tat questions to her boyfriend, that she didn't understand some of the scenes. (most of it were 'Why' questions). When you watch the film, you have to remember that it's a movie based in India. With Indian lead characters. So things that most people would think were obvious, might be a rare and unheard of thing in India, because they have their own culture and own practices.

1 comment:

Smarter Than Ever said...

Since I trust your taste and judgment, I'm inclined to check this one out. This will eat up half of my two-movies-per-year quota.