Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sights and Sounds (and Taste)

Today, even though it's a Sunday, I went to the office to finish a special project.

Luckily, with the help of my friend and my brother, I was able to find a way to do the project more efficiently (The project is basically consolidating, segragating, arranging some excel files. Sounds easy, but it's not! It's very messy, plus I'm not an Excel expert).

Anyway, around 5+, my friend and colleague was preparing to attend mass at Dhoby Ghaut. Since I was finished with my work, I decided to join her.

On our way to the Church, we noticed that a lot of Indian nationals have gathered in the streets, and there seems to be an event. Then, wah, like watching The National Geographic, I saw some men wearing steel costumes. Steel which were perched on their waists, probably piercing their skin too.

The whole lot of them with the steel costumes walked towards the stage, where a black sheet was draped in the centre of the stage, then there was something red, like the shape of a flame behind the cloth.

We went to mass, and by the time we got out, they were still there. So actually, I have no idea what happened, and what will still happen after.

Oh, while we were walking towards the Catholic church, a man and a woman was distributing food and drinks to everybody. So I took the small pack, afraid to insult the man but at the same time curious too.

Because, afterall, my stay in Singapore is about experiencing things. So being in that area, amidst their celebration, was a cool thing for me.

I saw everybody eating it, so before dinner, I ate one. It tasted like the Philippine Ukoy, except it doesn't have shrimp inside. It probably just contained starch and some shredded vegetable, plus a handful of spices.

No comments: