Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lo Hei










I think Lo Hei means New Year Feast. (I think)
So tonight (29Jan09), our team finally had ours at the Jumbo Seafood Restaurant, near Indoor Stadium, Kallang.
The Lo Hei started off when the server brought in a big platter of shredded vegetables (I saw carrots, and I think the green things might have been cucumber). They call it Salmon Yusheng.
She then ceremoniously squeezed the lime onto the salmon slices. After doing so, it was tossed into the vegetable platter. Pepper and seasoning went into it next (I was beside the server, so when she 'pepperised' the food, some of the powder lifted into air and went straight to my nose, which caused me to sneeze). Then, she put a few bags of fried wanton wrapper and some syrup to make the mixture sticky.
My boss then gave a short speech. After the speech, we all stood up with our hand armed with black plastic chopsticks. I think they shouted something, and then we all dug in our chopsticks and tossed the food around, as high as we could! Because they said that the higher it goes, the better it is.
So it became crazy! My colleague, who was across me from the big round table, lost his chopsticks, and one of the sticks came flying to my direction!
After a few minutes, it was all over and quite a mess was created. The server hurriedly came forth to clean our table, and whatever food that fell safely back to the platter soon found its way to our stomachs. I, ofcourse, didn't eat the fish because I don't eat raw fish. (Or whatever raw.)
After that interesting segment, we had our normal dinner - steamed prawns, scallop with broccoli, noodles, fried duck, steamed sea bass, Singapore chili crab with mantou bread and steamed taro cream dessert.
Wah, so full! Well I should be because I took second helpings for all the dishes, except dessert , that is. I could have eaten another bowl thought, but I suddenly became shy.
Now 3 hours after, I am hungry again. I guess I better just sleep it off.

No comments: