Monday, September 1, 2014

Red Corner versus Backyard Burger

 Red Corner's mushroom cheese burger with add-on of country fried bacon (yumz).
Top up of flavored fries and iced tea.

Backyard Burger's Kebab burger

****************************************************************************
There's a lot of burger joints in Davao, how I wish I can say the same for Vietnamese (1 Resto name- 2 branches), Thai (0), Singapore (0) restaurants... The only Asian cuisines accepted by the Davaoeno palate are Filipino, Chinese, Korean and Japanese.... Waaaaah, I want my hainanese chicken rice, tom yum soup and bahn mi!

Anyway, back to the burgers posted above. I searched the net for recommended burger places here in Davao. A lot of people said Red Corner and Backyard Burger, so I tried them both within a two week interval. I liked Red Corner. The pattie was flavorful, and the country fried bacon was nice. I didn't like the bun that much, but it's a minor issue. What I didn't appreciate the most was the fries. I mean the fries were okay, it's more of the flavor powder used (like those sold in groceries, in small plastic packets with paper labels).  I mean the taste of the flavored fries didn't jive with the taste of the burger. I think the burger deserved a classier-tasting fries.

***

Last Saturday, I had dinner at Backyard Burger. Was excited to eat the kebab burger but was disappointed because the bun was crumbly, the garlic yogurt sauce was almost non-existent and the yakiniku beef on my burger was mostly fat and so I had to spit it out. 50:50 fat to meat ratio would be tolerable, but not 80:20.

Anyway, would I go back to these burger joints? Yes for Red Corner.  Maybe for Backyard Burgers. Maybe I'll just try something less exotic next time. Perhaps just a cheesy burger..



No comments: